The global SMS market was worth $200 Bn in 2011. Mobile operators will lose $23 Bn in 2012 due to increased usage of mobile messenger apps like WhatsApp, BBM, Skype, Facebook and Kik driven largely by youth mobile owners. Mobile operators, handset brands and messenger app developers need to understand the key categories of youth communication behavior if they want to emerge as a leader in the overcrowded messenger app market. This briefing explores the following key questions relevant to mobile messaging:
1. How big a threat are mobile messenger apps to operator SMS revenues?
2. Which youth demographic is driving the growth of mobile messenger apps?
3. What do youth want from mobile messenger apps?
23 pages PDF. You will receive an email with a link to download the file upon purchase.
Table of Contents
- Licensing and Copyrights
- In this briefing
- Executive summary
- SMS has long been the biggest revenue generator for mobile operators globally
- SMS revenues are driven by teen mobile owners
- Overall teen SMS usage is on a decline
- SMS usage among teen girls has peaked; teen boys and ethnic minorities will drive little future growth
- Youth operator brands are already experiencing a drop in SMS usage among young mobile owners
- SMS revenues have declined in major global markets in the last 3 years
- SMS faces tough competition from several communication methods
- Messenger apps are the biggest threat to future SMS revenues for mobile operators
- Messenger app traffic will surpass SMS traffic in 2014
- Teen girls will drive future growth of messenger apps
- Teen girls are more likely to share images via mobile phones
- Youth prefer messenger apps because it allows them to share images and video in addition to text
- There is no clear global messenger app leader
- 4 categories of youth communication behavior
- Youth use SMS for Passive communication
- Youth prefer SMS over voice because it is a Discrete network to communicate
- The messenger app landscape is highly fragmented
- Teens hack Instagram to find new messenger friends for mobile messenger apps like Kik
- Need more insights and data?